Thursday, December 31, 2009

Goodbye 2009......Hello 2010


Well, I'm ringing out the old year somewhat under the weather. My nose is running like Niagara Falls. I have a concussion from the sneezing. My body aches all over, my head is pounding and even my eyes hurt! This was not exactly how I wanted to spend my time off. Nor is it the way I would like to be ringing in the New Year. Oh well; such is life. All I can hope for is that this is not an omen of things to come in 2010. Needless to say, seeing 2009 fall by the wayside won't be that hard to do. Not that it was a difficult year, (I've had worse), but, when evaluating the past 365 days, I can see room for improvement.

From a health standpoint, now that I have hit the big Five-O, I have to pay closer attention to my diet. Diet meaning more along the lines of what and how much I am eating as opposed to going on a diet. Diet's are good for some, I suppose, but if you want to constantly fail, I wouldn't recommend it. Especially for me. For one, I like to cook. And two, I like to eat what I cook. Part of the problem this past year has been injuries to my old body which has slowed my recovery period. I usually play sports all year long. Pick a season and I will tell you the sport. And this past year, I have added bike trekking to the list. And when I am injured and can't get out there doing what keeps the flab off, well let's just say, it ain't pretty. When I look down at my feet, I can still see my toes........barely. I'm still a couple of weeks away from my knee injury to completely heal and then, with any luck, I can get back out and play the rest of my hockey season. Fingers crossed!

Another way I wanted to make a change for 2010 was in donating to worthy causes. One in my backyard and one in somebody else's.....so to speak. On Christmas morning, while sitting back having my coffee, there was a program put on by The Hospital for Sick Children Foundation. With every gut-wrenching story, my heart went on a roller coaster ride which did not always end happily. To say that I had leaky eyes would have been an understatement extraordinaire. Recognizing that every little bit helps, I made a monthly pledge that, based on what I heard, would help to generate enough money to continue to further the research in children's illnesses and find the cures or at best, assist in the treatment. I have no doubt that if you saw the little one's that I saw, your heart would melt too!

Now, earlier this year while I was getting ready for work, I was watching one of those Breakfast Television shows that we all have. My favourite is Breakfast Television which broadcasts out of Toronto. The upbeat atmosphere of this particular morning crew always ensures that I leave for work in good spirits. Earlier this year, Jennifer Valentyne, who does the Live Eye segment of the show, traveled to Rwanda with The Courage Brothers and World Vision to witness some to the water projects that this group has devoted part of their life to. Tomorrow, at 2pm sharp, they will be conducting their Polar Bear Dip 2010. You can read up on it here. Needless to say, it is a chilly affair, well worth the cause and generates money for creating clean water for those communities that so desperately need it. This is one of the options that I am thinking about.

A second option is to sponsor a child from one of these countries in need. Hopefully, whereby the money is more focused on the individual child. Decisions, decisions.

Okay, before I go any further, I need to say this. As a general and personal rule when it comes to charities and donations, I never and I mean ever divulge any of my actions or intentions. The reason being is that I think broadcasting it takes away a certain part of the action itself. To me it should be selfless and humble. But I think, once in a Blue Moon, if you tell people what you are doing, it may generate some action within them as well. If possible that is. Dropping money into somebody's hand is a different matter because to me, it helps an individual with a face immediately. What they choose to do with that money, I have no control over. Money handed over to the likes of World Vision where they seek out the best possible way to spend and distribute that money well, I will leave that up to their expertise. Personally, I used to hate such organizations because the feedback coming back was that executives were lining their pockets with the donations. Or, that corruption within those countries in need was always front page news and didn't seem worthy. Now my thoughts have changed based on the hands on actions such as The Courage Brothers and Jennifer Valentyne.

I took a bit of a pause here because I did make up my mind and chose to do both. Tomorrow, I will donate to the Polar Bear Dip. I'm not that brave (or stupid) to plunge into freezing cold water (not intentionally at any rate). Let's face it, my heart would probably stop. What I did just finish doing was to sponsor a child. Her name is Fatimata, she is six years old and comes from Mauritania. I'm supposed to receive an information package withing the next couple of weeks and will post more information and possibly a photo of her. I know you will love her. She's a cutie.

So, where am I going with all of this. A new year is upon us. Everyday we have our own personal struggles that life tries to trip us up with. But, compared to some others, we live a life that is fairly safe and somewhat secure. It's pretty safe to say that we do not expect to be overrun by a bunch of fanatics hellbent on trying to murder us in your sleep. And it's also pretty safe to say that if you are thirsty, all you have to do is to turn the tap on in your kitchen and fill a glass of fresh clean water without any side effects. For literally the price of a coffee a day, we as individuals, can make quite a difference in a child's life either in our own backyard or the backyard of one of our World communities. Open up an atlas, close your eyes, and randomly pick spot and I am pretty sure that somebody there could use your help. On the World Vision web page I was on, there were another 2011 names waiting for a heart like yours.

So, as I sniffle my way out of this year, I would like to convey the very best wishes of a Happy, Healthy and Prosperous New Year to all of my Blogger Friends and their families out there. I know that in some cases life has presented many obstacles for you. It tested your patience, your understanding, compassion and empathy. But you survived the year so don't lose focus on the pluses. Remember every time you needed to go to the well, “just one more time” and remember not just the journey but the experience. It may come in handy some time soon if not for yourself, then maybe for one of your neighbours.

I will leave you with this little poem by William Arthur Ward:

“Another fresh new year is here...
Another year to live!
To banish worry, doubt and fear,
To love and laugh and give!


This bright new year is given me
To live each day with zest...
To daily grow and try to be
My highest and my best!

I have the opportunity
Once more to write some wrongs,
To pray for peace, to plant a tree,
And sing more joyful songs!”


Happy New Year Everybody


19 comments:

James said...

Happy New Year Bogey! I hope that you get well soon. I can tell you that sponsoring a child is a very rewarding experience for both parties.

Natalie said...

Sorry you are crook my friend. :(

Sponsoring is great. We have raised one boy to adulthood, and now we have a little 8 year old sweetie pie, called Jennifer.Both of these children are from Nicaragua. I love getting her little drawings in the mail, I put them on the fridge with all the other kids work. :)

Ice said...

Happy two zero one zero! Have a happy and prosperous new year.

Wow! It's snowing heavily there huh? Stay warm :o)

HalfCrazy said...

Happy New Year, Sir!

Good luck with your diet, you just gotta discipline yourself. Easy to say but hard to do since you love to cook and you love to eat what you cook. But at least you're into Sports!

I agree with you when it comes to donating stuff. I love helping people too and as much as possible, I keep it anonymous. I wish to be a Philantropist in the future. Gotta share the blessings and the hard work.

Much Love,

Hilary said...

Happy New Year, Bogie. I suppose we each have our own way to determine which charity is best. I like the thought you've put into yours. Looking forward to hearing more about Fatimata.

Renee said...

Happy New Year Bogey and I love the picture and your great red Canada hat.

Now we are twins, I am the same about doing any good deeds, I never mention them until I do and when I do it is because I want others to jump on the bandwagon.

We are twins.

Get better soon.

Love Renee xoxo

Rosaria Williams said...

Great ideas here! Happy Days ahead, dear Bogey.

ms toast burner said...

Happy New Year, Bogey! :-)

...and get well soon!

All the best for this coming year to ya!

Lori ann said...

Get well soon Bogey! I love the photo, it looks so pretty and cold, i'm afraid i'd have to have 2 coats and hats too! But it's great to see you.

It is so nice to read about your careful decision making regarding charity, there is so much need it's hard.
The little girl is lucky to have you as her sponser.
Happy New Year to you!

CiCi said...

Hi Bogey, 2008 was my worst year ever so 2009 was climbing out of the well (I didn't just go to the well, I fell in). So I am so looking forward to 2010, it can't be worse than 2008 and I have a different set of tools to help me if things get bad. You certainly have a caring heart, and it will be fun to hear about Fatimata. She is fortunate that you reached out to her.

Amel said...

Happy New Year, Bogey! I think it's VERY good that you share what you do about contributing to society to raise an awareness. :-)))

LOVE that pic of yours! GET WELL SOON and take care when you go back to your exercise regime (whatever it is).

Nancy said...

Happy New Year Bogey! I love that you choose to help others, and sharing your inspiration is a good thing. I hope your sniffles are drying up and you're not as sick as I was the whole month of December! I agree, there is room for improvement in 2010 and helping a child in need is certainly a good start.

Lori said...

First of all I am sorry I have not visited you here in so long and taken so long to comment. Secondly, I am sorry to hear you are sick. I hope that by now you are starting to feel better.

I know that you do not toot your own horn in sharing these things you do. That is not your character to do so. I think these are wonderful things and ones people can join in doing also should they feel motivated to do so in reading about it. I hate tooting my own horn also...it keeps me from sharing certain things that I would like to share...know what I mean?

I love this picture of you! Looks nice and cold like it is here. :)

Hope this finds you feeling better and keeping nice and warm! :)

Love and hugs to you my dear friend. I've missed you! Lori

CiCi said...

Hi Bogey, I just want you to know hubby and I are hoping you are feeling better and we send you hugs.

Maris Modesto said...

That is quite a tall order for 2010! On a positive note, I do not doubt that you would be able to fulfil them either one by one or at the same time, if time and your efforts permit. I hope I can do the same despite the burden of getting regular meds from www.OrderDrugs.ca. I find it commendable for you to include giving to charity as one of your new-year-to-do activities. Bless generous souls like yours!

Michelle said...

Wishing you a WONDERFUL 2010 with lots of miracles and magic.

(hug)

Michelle said...

hey, I've got an award for you.

http://crows-feet.blogspot.com/2010/02/kreativ-blogger-award.html

Shammickite said...

Hmmmm... end of feb and you haven't posted since New Years... I wonder why???

Lori ann said...

Hope all is well with you Bogey? just over blogging is all? that's okay, i was just thinking of you and really hope you are fine.
Did you hear that Renee passed?

take care,
lori