Thursday, April 16, 2009

The next scene features

I find myself tossing and turning in bed. Restless. I'm not sure whether I'm dreaming or awake. I keep hearing somebody whispering my name. Slowly, I open my eyes to the darkness and listen hard, trying to determine where the voice is coming from. Trying to figure out if I recognize the voice. But I can't. It's a man's voice. Strong, but sounding fatigued. I'm a little confused and unsure whether I should get up and investigate. Part of me is questioning my sanity. The naturally curious part is pushing me out of bed. I cave in, instinctively grabbing my housecoat and sliding my feet into my slippers. My eyes, having become accustomed to the dark, search for the doorway.



Quietly, I make my way out of my bedroom and peer down the hallway. Some kind of an eerie glow appeared to be coming from the living room. Almost as though somebody had turned on the TV. Again, I could hear the whisper of my name and I could feel the ice cold sweat on the back of my neck. I froze. Fear beginning to unsettle my nerve. I brought myself back to reality and continued to move forward. I hear the unmistakable sqeak leather makes when somebody shifts in their seat. Now I feel for sure that somebody is in my liiving room. My mouth drops open slightly, my tongue nervously trying to moisten my dry lips as I decide my next move. Run like hell came to mind.



I was only a step away now and prayed that if this was my end that it would happen quickly. An eerie mist cascaded across the room reminiscent of the stage antics from an old Alice Cooper concert. My eyes shifted nervously as I began to search the room for some kind of sign. I glanced towards the far corner where the high back leather chair was.situated. My eyes strained trying to see thru the mist and the darkness. Finally, my eyes settled on the unmistakable outline of a figure seated upright in the chair. It was indeed a man, dressed in an older style Military uniform. He was calmly rubbing his hands on the tops of his thighs, as though he were drying his hands on his pants.



I quickly studied the figure wondering where and if I had seen him somewhere before. Then as I stared into his dark and sullen eyes, tears quickly filled my own eyes as I recognized the figure from an old black and white photograh. A photograph which hung on the wall of the hallway that I just passed. It couldn't be, I thought. I struggled to compose myself as I came face to face with............

3 comments:

Natalie said...

Oh! Don't leave it there! I was terrified. What a great post.

Tint~ said...

You had me there! I do hope you finish the story :)

Bogey said...

Sorry Ladies, it was just kind of an exercise to see if you could write something that would make your audience want to turn the page, so to speak. I didn't really plan what I wrote, I just wrote it. But, the person I was referring to was actually......can you guess?