Thursday, April 30, 2009

Does anybody remember laughter?

Life, as we have come to know it, is serious. Considering what the average life span is, for a very short time in our lives, we are children. We are carefree. Sprites. Full of energetic mischief, creativity and mayhem. We play. We act. We scheme! Although we don't really know what that word means. We run. We explore. We hide.... and we seek. We are fearless, for the most part. And.....we laugh! We laugh at each other. We laugh at ourselves and our silliness. We laugh at things adults would never understand. But we laugh.



For the most part, our little brains have yet to be corrupted by life's realities. Then, we grow up. Sometimes too fast. Faster than we know what is good for us. We become serious. We become involved in adult things. You know what I mean. There is school, relationships and jobs. Responsibilities, commitments and aaaagggghhh! Deadlines! Laughter; exit stage left. Stress.....please hit your mark. And so it goes.



For the good of our health we need laughter in our lives. Laughter benefits and contributes to our well being in so many ways. It helps to keep our brains more alert; helps to lower our blood pressure and reduces stress considerably. And think of it, have you ever had a really good old fashioned belly laugh. You know the ones where your insides feel like you were just at the gym, screaming at you, "go for the burn". Those kinds of laughs. Fortunately for me, I do a lot of stupid things where I am the beneficiary of my own laughter.


Picture this for instance. I'm out Christmas shopping, running around from store to store trying to complete my mental shopping list. Racing around trying to beat the clock and get as much done as I can. In the midst of this I realize I need to tinkle. It'll have to wait. You're not done yet. One more item then you can go home. "Fine", by bladder screams! Finally, I'm on my way home doing a jig behind the wheel hoping passers by think I'm just rocking to Christmas tunes. Minutes seem like hours when I eventually pull up to the door. I'm squeezing so hard my knees hurt and my eyes begin to water. I think, "that's it, one more minute and it'll be coming out of my ears." I grab the packages and hoof it to the door, keys in hand, pushing the 'open button' as I approach the door. No response! Great! (Fill in favourite swear words here) I try again. The door is still not opening. Batteries must be dead, I think. Bladder screaming in agony. I look at the keys in my hand sheepishly realizing that I am trying to open my front door with my car keys. Duh!!! Since when did you have an automatic front door opener. Wing nut! Glancing around to make sure nobody sees my gaff, I slip the key in the door and close the door behind me. Later of course, I laugh my ass off and I still get a chuckle out it. I hope you do too!

Do you have any memories of doing something bizarre that made you laugh at your self?

Maturity is a bitter disappointment for which no remedy exists, unless
laughter can be said to remedy anything. ~Kurt Vonnegut

7 comments:

Natalie said...

Oh! Only every day! he,he.

Amel said...

HE HE HE HE...one thing I love about hubby is that he makes me laugh. And for the weirdest reasons ever, sometimes when I'm with him, I laugh (the crazy-belly-laughter-type) for no reason at all that sometimes he shakes his head in disbelief...I LOVE that kind of laughter - the kind where you do it simply because you feel like doing it. Not because there are any specific reasons. :-))))

Amel said...

Oops forgot to say that your story is funny, though I felt for you he he he he...because one friend of mine once held herself back to watch a movie at a movie theatre until it was over ('coz sometimes there was a long line at the toilet, so she didn't want to miss a thing). When the movie was over, her legs were visibly SHAKING while she had to queue to go to the toilet. Poor girl!!!

Unfortunately right now I don't remember anything I did that made me laugh hmmmm...

ms toast burner said...

Ha! I've done that car key at the front door bit too! lol...

I have to admit to being a bit surprised by your civility... I thought all us Canadians were tree-trained? ;-)

Great post.

Winifred said...

That was so funny. Yes it's great to laugh.

I love it when my grand daughter starts to laugh, often at something silly, and then I laugh and she laughs at me. Brilliant.

Now this is the first time I've admitted to this. My most stupid trick was to leave an old toothbrush in the bathroom that I had used to clean the grouting in the bathroom tiles that day. I used extra strong bleach! Late that night I cleaned my teeth with it. I was so tired that it took a couple of minutes to register that the toothpaste's flavour was essence of bleach, not fluoride. I started to laugh but I wondered what my gums would be like the next day. They were OK and very clean.

Michelle said...

PS I have popped over from Natalies place

Midlife, menopause, mistakes and random stuff... said...

Darlin Natalie sent me over.......what a fantastic blog you have going here and I am now going to follow. That is so sad about your friends pup. I am an animal rescuer. I have had times when I've gotten an animal that was very sick and had to hold it while it was put out at ease. It is the right thing to do my friend you know? I do believe that like the movie title, All Dogs Go To Heaven.
If you have a moment please visit my blog and click on "The Daily Puppy". It generates a small donation to my local Humane Society to help build a No-Kill Shelter and we need all the help that we can get.
And by the way, I laugh at myself daily because I always do something idiotic to lose "cool points", lol.
Have a fantastic day and.......

Steady On
Reggie Girl